Hopefully you spent the last several weeks working your research plan! I hope it went well for you.
Now, it’s time for some self-assessment:
- Did you start with a research question?
- Did you target your subject’s time and place?
- Did you search in a variety of sources?
- Did you create a research plan?
- Did you write full citations for your sources?
- Did you gather clues along the way, noting other family members, neighbors, friends, and associates?
- Did you transcribe, abstract, and extract your findings?
- Did you analyze each document individually?
- Did you correlate how each document compares to the others. Do they line up and make sense or is there something that sticks out like it doesn’t fit?
- Did you write your report as you went along?
If you did all those things, fantastic!
If not, take the time to get it right so you have no should haves, could haves, or regrets!